Thursday, November 22, 2012

Soul Searching: What do we search for?

Call it soul searching. I've been searching for a long time with a restless heart. We search because something is missing. We know not what it is that is missing. So we search hither and tither.

The search in the depth of our being is a longing to find our place in this universe. To find our life's destiny. The search is really a yearning to go back to where be belong. To our mother, to our home which is nothing other than nature and our mother earth. Living in cities for generations, removed from the touch and feel of our mother, we are hopelessly lost in unnatural environments and we search for our bearings.

When we truly understand how our life is entwined with everything in this earth, we see peace. The search is over and understanding begins. Here is a quote from a native american chief which I thought was apt. We are now living in a time when everything in nature is alien to us. We humans have set ourselves apart from everything else on earth. We do not belong like every other creature does and that is why our heart longs to return.

The time will soon be here when my grandchild will long for the cry of a loon, the flash of a salmon, the whisper of spruce needles, or the screech of an eagle. But he will not make friends with any of these creatures and when his heart aches with longing he will curse me. Have I done all to keep the air fresh? Have I cared enough about the water? Have I left the eagle to soar in freedom? Have I done everything I could to earn my grandchild's fondness? -Chief Dan George-(1899 - 1981)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message