Thursday, March 28, 2013

Dadirri : Deep Listening

I recently read about "Dadirri". It has always been a big part in the lives of the Aboriginal people of Australia. According to  Miriam-Rose Ungunmerr-Baumann, Aboriginal writer

“Dadirri is inner, deep listening and quiet, still awareness. Dadirri recognises the deep spring that is inside us. We call on it and it calls to us.

When I experience dadirri, I am made whole again. I can sit on the riverbank or walk through the trees; even if someone close to me has passed away, I can find my peace in this silent awareness. There is no need of words. A big part of dadirri is listening.”

“In our Aboriginal way, we learnt to listen from our earliest days. We could not live good and useful lives unless we listened. This was the normal way for us to learn - not by asking questions. We learnt by watching and listening, waiting and then acting.”

“My people are not threatened by silence. They are completely at home in it. They have lived for thousands of years with Nature’s quietness. My people today, recognize and experience this quietness, the great Life-Giving Spirit, the Father of us all.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message