Friday, April 5, 2013

The Coo of the Mourning Dove

Every morning as I head out from home to work, I hear this very haunting coo of a particular bird. A far away "woo-OO-oo-oo-oo" .. a pause and then again "woo-OO-oo-oo-oo". I wondered what mysterious bird must have such a distinctive coo.

I wanted to find out on the web..but what would I search for? The only option was to ask a birder in the region. I almost gave up hope of finding out until I chanced upon a very slender, greyish brown bird that looked like pigeon. I looked it up and found out that it was the Mourning Dove.

Imagine my surprise when I found that this was it!! The Mourning dove's plaintive coo is what gave this bird its name. "woo-OO-oo-oo-oo"  ... "woo-OO-oo-oo-oo" ..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message