Friday, November 22, 2013

My talented sister

As my older sister is preparing to launch her first book I am inspired to write a post about her. 

As kids, I excelled in academics while she excelled in the arts. She lives music and our house was drowned in music. She slept with our tiny red radio cum tape-recorder next to her pillow. "Man Chahe Geet" was her favorite. Bathroom singing was our daily pastime. You could hear high pitched, plaintive "Tere Bina Zindagi Se Koi" ... "Naa.. Jiya Lage Na .." from the bathroom. Thinking of days gone by makes me smile.

Even as a school girl, she used to sew dresses using saris or old clothes. Though the stitching was not very robust, we used to wear it and they were actually quite pretty. She used to cut and style her own hair and even ours! Do you see the fringes on both my sisters hairs in the photo below?


We wanted to have a low diwan in our house and my parents refused to buy one. So we constructed one with wooden planks stacked on top of each other. It was wobbly but we did use it for a long time. :)

She used to play the Veena. She was good in drawing, painting and craft. She was a hockey player and represented her school in the regional level. Some of her school friends used to call her "talent". From the time I can remember, I know her to be bold, fearless .. diving into things and giving a 100%

My parents named her Prathibha after a doctor they knew. Prathibha means "talented" in Hindi! She has lived up to her name. She has and will always inspire me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message