Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Patra Lakshanam: Traits of a Danseuse


Dancers at Kalakshetra, Chennai

 A danseuse is called "Patra" in Sanksrit. This shlokam from the ancient epic "Abinaya Darpanam"  enumerates the qualities of a dancer.

Tanvi roopavati shyama pinnonata payodhara
Pragalbha sarasa kantha kushala gruhamokshayoha
Vishaala lochana geeta vaadhya taalanu varthinee
Paradyo bhusha sampanna prasanna mukha pankala
Evam vidha guna peta nartaki samudhiritha 
(Slim, of great beauty, dark complexioned, full-bosomed, swan like, lovely, intelligent, large-eyed, able to dance according to song, orchestra and rhythm in keeping with the beat. Endowed with precious qualities and a smiling face resembling a lotus flower. All these qualities are possessed by a danseuse )

On my recent visit to Chennai, I had the opportunity to tour the world renowned Kalakshetra Foundation. Every single dancer I met there embodies these qualities to the fullest. This shlokam holds the essence of a beautiful and intelligent woman!

P.S: This description is not complete as I don't know the meaning of the following phrases "pragalbha", "gruhamokshayoha", "paradyo bhusha sampanna" and "samudhiritha".  I plan to refine the meaning when I find out.

3 comments:

  1. my dance teacher said praghalba means mature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adhya are you from the regency public school? Adhya mudga? Iam srushti

      Delete
  2. Why do you want someone to have a full-bosom, that's so close minded! So what if I am fair skinned and small eyed? Does that really mean I cannot dance?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message