Monday, September 28, 2015

Canada in my blood..


Red maple

Despite having lived in Canada for over a decade and being a citizen of this country, I always considered myself an Indian. I was born in India, my skin is brown and I consume predominantly Indian food. But somewhere along the way, the blood in my veins was gradually turning a different shade of red...

Was it the air that I breathed? or the water from the Great Lakes that quenched my thirst? was it the sweet smell of the soil and the pines? was it the kindness of the people who gave me a helping hand when I desperately needed it? was it because I birthed my children on this land?

Unbeknown to me, I had fallen deeply in love with this vast land called Canada. While I will remain an Indian, I will be a Canadian to the very end of my days. 

3 comments:

  1. If you feel the ground is ur floor and sky is ur roof nothing is lost. The world is a little place. At once u can imagin ur mother india. Think mother nature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right!! Where ever on earth we connect with mother nature, there we feel at home. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. This is such a beautiful description of the emotions NRIs experience, both for their motherland and their new home. Thank you for expressing it so poignantly!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message