Thursday, December 17, 2015

Tagore's Tumi Rabe Nirabe

Tagore
Can a mother relish the tastiest food without saving some for her children?  When I enjoy something so much, be it a poem that touched my heart or a sight that thrilled me or an insight that sets a train of thoughts in me, I write on my blog as a way to share my joy ...especially with my children ..who may otherwise never understand the depth in some of the beautiful poetry of our homeland in our native languages. Today as I listen to Hemanta Mukherjee's mesmerizing rendition of Tagore's song ..Tumi Rabe Nirabe ..I am  transported to an entirely different world  ..

Tumi rabe nirabe hridoye mamo
Nibiro nibhrito purnima nishithi nisamo.
Mamo jibano joubano mamo akhilo bhubano
Tumi bhoribe gourabe nishithi nisamo.
Jaagibe ekaaki tabo karuno aakhi,
Tabo anchalochhaaya more rohibe dhaaki.
Mamo dukhobedono mamo saphalo swapano
Tumi bhoribe sourabhe nishithinisamo.


Meaning
Thou shalt dwell in silence in my heart
Like the full moon in the summer night.
My life, my entire world
Thou fills with grace and pride, like a calm night
Thy compassionate eyes alone stays awake watching over me
The protective shadow of thy veil comforts me
Thy breath like the full moon in the summer night shall hover about my sadness and pains and all my dreams making them fragrant..


Translation by Tagore

Thou shalt dwell in silence in my heart like the full moon in the summer night.
Thy sad eyes shall watch over me in my wanderings.
The shadow of thy veil shall rest upon my heart
Thy breath like the full moon in the summer night shall hover about my dreams, making them fragrant.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message