Sunday, January 10, 2016

Infinite beauty of a snowflake

Nature's transient designs
There is not much to be excited about in the winter. I discovered by chance that that is not true at all!! The ordinary snow that falls on us by the tons carries in it the most infinitely beautiful miracle of nature hidden in every single snowflake!

I was cutting out paper snowflakes for the children when my husband casually mentioned that each snowflake is unique in its design. That to me was a mind boggling wonder!! It set off a train of events.. I read more about snowflakes, learnt about Wilson 'Snowflake' Bentley, got some books and DVD's from the library. I threw out my first snowflake cuttings as they were not hexagonal in shape as snowflakes should be and cut new ones for the children.

After learning about snowflakes and looking at Bentley's pictures of them, I learn humbly over and over again, that great joy lies in appreciating the transient beauty of nature. Money can never buy this joy for nature gives it for free to all who care to stop, look and feel.

"There is a need of a greater love for, and appreciation of such things, of the beautiful and wonderful in nature...There are oceans of enjoyment, soul satisfying pleasure to be had in Nature's art and beauty, as shown freely to us in the common things all about us." - Wilson 'Snowflake' Bentley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message