Friday, June 30, 2017

Brute force in parenting ..

My husband and I use starkly different approaches when it comes to parenting our children. While I frequently resort to the faster, short cut approach of brute force to enforce discipline and compliance he always takes the longer, arduous route of patiently wrangling and reasoning with them.

Today, in one epiphanous moment I have decided to let go brute force once and for all in parenting. I hope to use the slower but surer force of love and reasoning.

This decision comes from the conviction that the 'means to achieve any end must also be just'. Brute force is violence and using it even sparingly makes me a brute. Brute force only achieves immediate outward compliance. Inward transformation is only achieved by appealing to another's reason.

This is what Gandhi's Satyagraha stands for. Employing peaceful methods at all times. The decision to give up brute force will demand more of me ..in developing patience and exercising self control.

Non-violence is a weapon of the strong - Gandhi

1 comment:

  1. Peace is hard to approach but nothing solution than peace

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message