Thursday, May 22, 2014

Love alone is our life.... ಒಲವೆ ನಮ್ಮ ಬದುಕು

Da Ra Bendre's poem is heart wrenching and heart warming at the same time. It  reveals the utter poverty of a young woman who has nothing to call her own other than the love of her man. Love can make even the poorest of the poor rich.   Who being loved is poor? - Oscar Wilde

ನಾನು ಬಡವಿ ಆತ ಬಡವ
      ಒಲವೆ ನಮ್ಮ ಬದುಕು
ಬಳಸಿಕೊಂಡೆವದನೆ ನಾವು
      ಅದಕು ಇದಕು ಎದಕು
Poor I am, so is he
Love alone is our life
Tis what we have nurtured
To see us through this, that and for everything else

ಹತ್ತಿರಿರಲಿ ದೂರವಿರಲಿ
      ಅವನೆ ರಂಗಸಾಲೆ
ಕಣ್ಣು ಕಟ್ಟುವಂಥ ಮೂರ್ತಿ
      ಕಿವಿಗೆ ಮೆಚ್ಚಿನೋಲೆ 
Near or far may he be
He is the colourful stage
The idol that my eyes have built up
Sweet words are jewels for my ears 



ಚಳಿಗೆ ಬಿಸಿಲಿಗೊಂದೆ ಹದ
      ಅವನ ಮೈಯ ಮುಟ್ಟೆ
ಅದೇ ಗಳಿಗೆ ಮೈಯ ತುಂಬಾ
      ನನಗೆ ನವಿರು ಬಟ್ಟೆ 
For the winter or summer,
I have just the touch of his body
Every moment I cover myself
With a cloth of goose bumps


ಆತ ಕೊಟ್ಟ ವಸ್ತು ಒಡವೆ
      ನನಗೆ ಅವಗೆ ಗೊತ್ತು
ತೋಳುಗಳಿಗೆ ತೋಳಬಂದಿ
      ಕೆನ್ನೆ ತುಂಬಾ ಮುತ್ತು
His gifts of things and jewels
Is only known to him and I
Hugs that embrace my shoulders
Cheeks full of sweet kisses


ಕುಂದು ಕೊರತೆ ತೋರಲಿಲ್ಲ
      ಬೇಕು ಹೆಚ್ಚಿಗೇನು?
ಹೊಟ್ಟೆಗಿತ್ತ ಜೀವ ಫಲವ
      ತುಟಿಗೆ ಹಾಲು ಜೇನು.      
Never felt the lack of anything
What more do I need?
The fruit of life grows in my womb
Lips sweet with milk and honey

1 comment:

Please leave a message