Thursday, October 22, 2015

A dream: To paint Plien Air..


Canadian landscape paintings
What we search on the internet reveals some of our deep longings. Whenever I get some time to relax, I find myself searching for the paintings of Robert Genn, John Pryce or the Group of Seven. What is common in all of their work is the pristine Canadian landscape.

Every once in a while my mind projects an image far into the future and what I see is an image of me and my daughter painting En plien air in some remote Canadian location. This recurring dream may just remain a dream but it still brings cheer to my heart.

Why plien air I ask myself? The reason perhaps is that plien air painting combines my three loves, my love for nature, my love for the beautiful Canadian landscape and my love of painting. Instead of driving by in a car and getting off to take a picture of a beautiful scene, wouldn't it be better to hike to a nice location, sit there and soak in the beauty of the landscape and then create something from what you have just taken in? 

This is what Robert Genn, one of Canada's most accomplished painter has to say of plien air ...."Plein air is something special. Plein air is an occasion, an event, a happening. Plein air makes plain days magic. Plein air has integrity and honesty. But above all plein air is the breeze, the birds, the passing parade.  

Who needs cigars when you're inhaling life?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message